The function of the steering system is to convert the rotary movement of the steering wheel into angular turn of front wheels. The front wheels of vehicle are supported on the front axle. The steering is connected to the wheels with the help of linkage and steering box. The front wheels are connected to the steering wheel in such a way that the front wheel will roll truly without any lateral slip. The steering system also absorbs some part of road shocks.
Requirements of steering system:
– The steering system should have self straightening effect so that the steering wheel regains straight position when the driver releases the steering wheel after negotiating the turn.
– It should multiply the turning effort applied by the driver on the steering wheel.
– The road shocks should not be transmitted to the driver’s hands.
Functions of steering system:
- It provides directional stability.
- It controls the wear and tear of tires.
- Absorbs some part of road shocks.
- It converts the rotary movement of steering wheel into an angular turn of the front wheels.
- It multiplies the driver’s effort for easy turning of vehicle.
- It also provides the self straightening effect.
The major elements of steering system are
1. Steering gear