Functions of Industrial Engineering Department:
The primary and distinguishing functions which are to be concerned with the Industrial Engineering Department are as follows
- To develop simplest work methods and establishing one best way for doing the assigned work.
- To select suitable process and assembling method so as to optimize the process.
- To aid in the development and design of a sound inventory control.
- To design and select suitable tool and equipment. This will help in decreasing the production cost and time.
- To determine the work-in process for each stage of production.
- To develop a sound wage and incentive scheme so as to increase effective motivation to work effectively and efficiently.
- To assist and aid in preparing a detailed job profile and thereafter a suitable job evaluation system by setting targets, scheduling and sequencing.
- To establish standard costing system by developing cost control programmes like budgetary control, cost analysis by replacement of depreciation leading to cost reduction.
- To establish the layout of production facilities for having uniform flow of material, raw materials and finished goods and their storage facilities.
- To develop proper criteria of measuring output and to analyse performance of organization and individuals so as to achieve standardization of work.
- To study the project feasibility. This will also lead to revision of production system with respect to the changing environment.
- To adopt techniques for optimal solutions to problems designed by taking into consideration various constraints imposed.
- To establish a standard time for a job or operation. This technique is referred to as Time study or work measurement.
- To design and adapt to value engineering which describes a value study on a product or project .
- To apply Operation research techniques like mathematical analysis and statistical methods of forecast as nothing is static in business.