Industrial discipline means systematic working of the workers of an organization according to established policies, rules and regulations. Discipline forces an individual to follow rules, regulations and procedures to achieve an objective. In nut shell, discipline means orderliness. In an organization, discipline means the systematic conduct of its employees.
Industrial discipline can be defined as:
Orderliness without which there would be chaos in the behavior of workers.
Discipline is defined as “a force that prompts individuals or groups to observe the rules, regulations and procedures which are deemed necessary for effective functioning of an organization.”- Richard.H. Calhoon
Problem of indiscipline would be comparatively less if a management has fairness, open mindedness, fair-play and approach of justice. Discipline is necessary for successful activities in organization and, condition of total peace and harmony as opposite to confusion. It is a key factor for the success of any business unit.
Maintenance of industrial discipline:
The maintenance of industrial discipline is a hard and highly complex task and requires very efficient handling. In an environment of discipline, work culture improves and efficiency of workers improves, production increases and the organization, as a whole, achieves prosperity and attains its goals. Discipline may be enforced or self-imposed. In self-imposed discipline, staff regulates themselves and their behavior but, in enforced discipline, guideline comes from the top.
There are various ways that can be adopted, but some are outlined below:
- A disciplinary committee should be formed.
- Workers should be part of framing rules and regulations.
- Rules and regulations should be properly communicated.
- The communication gap between the management and the workers should be cleared.
- Orientation of the new workers should be done properly.
- Penalty for indiscipline or breaking rules should be there and imposed only when it is absolutely essential.
- Unfair treatment should not be the aim of penalty.
- It is highly recommended to avoid favoritism and discrimination.
- Managerial staff should take care that they never breaker the law as they themselves have created discipline policy.
- Code of conduct for everyone should be framed and strictly followed.
- Suitable mechanism should be framed to listen to the plea made by the aggrieved party.