The big five personality traits:
The big five model is theory given by Fred Luthans. According to him the five traits are independent factors of personality, but different people can behave differently with the blend of these traits. Any one dominating trait can define the personality of an individual. Different people may have less or more influence on a person.
This model can be related to the job performance of an employee.
These traits are discussed here.
- Conscientiousness: A person with high conscientious focuses on a single goal or few inter-related goals at a time. He likely to be systematic organized responsible and self disciplined. On the other hand person with less conscientious tends to focus on many things at a time and he is more irresponsible, disorganized and careless.
- Emotional Stability: this trait focuses on ability of a person to cop up with stress. The person with less emotional stability tends to be nervous insecure and depressed. But person with high emotional stability tends to be calm, secure and enthusiastic.
- Agreeableness: it refers to relationship of a person with other. People with high agree-ability value the harmony in relation rather than their say. These people are more cooperating and trustworthy. People with less agree-ability are mean and self centered. The focus on their in needs than the needs of others.
- Extroversion: this trait is related to comfort level of a person with society. Extrovert people are social talkative and open to establishing new relationship. They feel easy while meeting new people. Introvert people are less talkative less social and feel less comfortable with unknown people.
- Openness to experience: it signifies the variety of interest of the individual. More the person is open to the external environment more innovative he will be. He will accept new ideas with ease and ready to listen more from others. He will change his beliefs attitude and ideology when gets new information. People with low level of openness do not change their beliefs and ideology easily. They are less curious, less creative and possess lesser interests.